‘Solid foundations for the future’
The learning continues as children move into the pre-school, which is designed to enable a smooth transition into school. The setting follows the Early Years Foundation Stage Principles, from birth to 5 years, which every child will follow. Although children are developing at different levels, learning is encouraged in a very creative and exploratory way. For example, instead of giving a child a colouring sheet of a piece of fruit, which is very linear and inhibiting in learning, we will give them real fruit to develop senses of sight, touch, smell, taste, and let them explore in their own ways. This method of learning, develops awareness, and provokes interest in a far more realistic way, where children will ask questions and gain a greater understanding.
Following the ‘Early Years Foundation Stage’ gives assurance to parents and school teachers, that children commence school ready and able to learn. The EYFS covers 3 Prime area and 4 Specific areas of learning:
1. Personal, social and emotional development
2. Communication and language
3. Physical Development
6. Understanding the world
7. Expressive Art and Design
These areas help support and develop the 3 Characteristics of Effective Learning, which are incorporated into each child’s daily routine
Our “Secret Garden”
The nursery houses its own “Secret Garden”an innovation project that has been developed in the rear garden of the nursery. It consists of a nature area that uses the outdoor environment to help children learn. These natural surroundings allow the children to explore and develop in self confidence where they may not ordinarily have the opportunity.
Mini Stages Comes to Circus
Mini Stages is where your child will learn about the wonder of music and rhythm. The sessions are fun-packed, developmental and designed to hold the attention of the children.
Other features of the Pre-School are:
- Self registration takes place each morning
- A uniform consisting of a purple t shirt and sweatshirt for parents to buy as the child starts their pre-school year.
- Optional French/Ukulele lessons
- We hold a Graduation BBQ every July to celebrate the children’s achievements before the go to School. They all make mortar boards and receive certificates
- A First Aid course is organised for the children
- Barbara Arnold, our Road Safety lady comes in 3 times in the year before they go to School. Zoolab visits us with various animals, from tarantulas and snakes to rabbits and insects
- We have Fire engine and police visits
- We have a ‘Jungle’ area housing two degus, two terrapins and tropical fish.
- We have apple computers and printer for children to use.
- We have an outdoor classroom, and exceptional garden for our children to explore and play
- All children are offered the opportunity to take part and explore our Secret Garden.